Prince Andrew leaves Windsor as ‘authorities attempt to serve him legal papers’

Robert H Tambunan

Prince Andrew has left Balmoral Castle in Scotland to allegedly avoid being served sexual assault papers, according to reports. The scandal-hit Duke of York and his ex wife Sarah Ferguson are understood to have fled to the Queen’s summer residence, a 50,000-acre Scottish estate. Andrew has reportedly avoided several attempts […]

Prince Andrew has left Balmoral Castle in Scotland to allegedly avoid being served sexual assault papers, according to reports.

The scandal-hit Duke of York and his ex wife Sarah Ferguson are understood to have fled to the Queen’s summer residence, a 50,000-acre Scottish estate.

Andrew has reportedly avoided several attempts by US lawyers to serve legal papers in person at his Windsor mansion, with security guards turning them away, The Sun reports.

SEE MORE IN THE VIDEO PLAYER ABOVE

Last month it was revealed US prosecutors probing the activities of British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell and others linked to US financier Jeffrey Epstein consider Prince Andrew a person of interest in the investigation, a source familiar with the inquiry said.

RELATED:

ANDREW A ‘PERSON OF INTEREST’: PROSECUTORS

MAXWELL LOSES BID TO DISMISS CHARGES

PRINCE ANDREW CASE UNDER REVIEW: UK POLICE

Last month it was revealed investigators want to interview Andrew about his friendship with Epstein as part of their inquiry into possible co-conspirators, a source said. As a person of interest he is viewed at least as a potential witness.

Camera IconPrince Andrew has reportedly fled Windsor after ‘multiple attempts’ to serve him with legal papers at his home. Credit: Steve Parsons/AP

Prosecutors in 2020 said Andrew had “sought to falsely portray himself to the public as eager and willing to co-operate” but had given no interview to federal authorities and had repeatedly declined requests to talk with investigators.

While Andrew remains a person of interest to prosecutors in the office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, they did not expect to be able to interview him in the foreseeable future, if ever, according to the source.

“He doesn’t seem to want to talk to us,” the source said.

Virginia Giuffresued Prince Andrew saying he sexually assaulted her when she was 17. Andrew has denied to allegation.
Camera IconVirginia Giuffresued Prince Andrew saying he sexually assaulted her when she was 17. Andrew has denied to allegation. Credit: Bebeto Matthews/AP
Virignia Giuffre, formerly Roberts, pictured centre with Prince Andrew and Ghislaine Maxwell, right, in 2001.
Camera IconVirignia Giuffre, formerly Roberts, pictured centre with Prince Andrew and Ghislaine Maxwell, right, in 2001. Credit: unknown/twitter

Representatives of the prince declined to comment.

Earlier in August, Virginia Giuffre, who has said she was abused by Epstein, filed a civil complaint against Andrew in Manhattan federal court. Giuffre alleges Andrew forced her to have unwanted sexual intercourse at Maxwell’s London home.

Andrew has denied the allegation.

Epstein died by suicide in 2019 while awaiting trial on charges of trafficking minors.

Ghislaine Maxwell has pleaded not guilty to charges that she procured teenage girls for Epstein to sexually abuse between 1994 and 2004. She is expected to go on trial in November.

Prosecutors last year sent the British government a formal request, known as a mutual legal assistance treaty submission, asking for access to the prince so they could talk to him.

Next Post

Law notes: Young Conaway; Richards, Layton; K&L. Gates; Robinson+Cole

Reading Time: 5 minutes Estate lawyer Nenno joins Young Conaway Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor, LLP announced that Richard W. Nenno, will be joining the firm as Senior Counsel in the Business Planning and Tax Section on October 18. Nenno comes to Young Conaway with over 40 years of estate-planning […]

Subscribe US Now